Maine Wood Heat Forum

Butterflied Turkey

Author

Home Forums Wood Fired Oven Forum Butterflied Turkey

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  James R Babb 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Cristina Fontanella Donovan

We are that couple from a long time ago with the copper LePanyol wonderful oven, we are so delighted to have such a masterpiece and it always brings such comfort in everything, just as a fireplace as well as a cooking instrument. I am excited because of my idea this year. I have a 15 pounder, and was planning on placing stuffing under the butterflied turkey. I was thinking of firing it up the night before and then closing it up, figuring that the temp will be around 450. So if you have any suggestions that would be great. I am going to keep an eye on the internal temp of the turkey as i go, and am assuming that i should probably tent it with foil in the beginning and then uncover
    it later, thanks for your time and all the best to all of you out there

James R Babb

Better late than never. We’ve butterflied our turkeys for the past eight or so years; it’s much easier, faster, and the bird is significantly juicier and more flavorful.

We fire our 66cm Le Panyol about two hours before we’re ready to cook (a really long firing holds a high temp too long; the secret is a flash of fierce heat that tapers off fairly quickly). We salt the turkey about 48 hours in advance, and spatchcock it 24 hours before and leave it uncovered in the fridge to tighten the skin. The warm stuffing (we make it in a wok) is mounded on a sheet of foil on a rack, the turkey goes over that, with the salt basted away from the skin using a paper towel dipped in the lipid of choice–usually melted duck fat, for us. We typically need about two hours to get the thigh-meat to 175F. Then the turkey comes out to rest, and the stuffing goes back in the oven to crisp. Very repeatable results, and far superior (for our palates) to a whole bird.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.